System of social protection in Macedonia
(Note: The is a google translation of our MK version on which we are currently working. Please be patient untill we proof-check it.)
The system of social protection in the Republic of Macedonia is regulated by the following main laws:
- Law on Social Protection
- Law on Child Protection
- Family law
- Law on Employment and Insurance in the Case of Unemployment
According to the regulations in these laws, the MK-MOD – Tax and Benefit Model models the following social protection rights:
- Social financial assistance
The right to social financial assistance has a person capable of working and household, materially unsecured and which according to other regulations can not provide means for existence.
Materially unsecured is a person and a household that generates income on all bases lower than the amount of social financial assistance and which does not own the property and property rights from which it can be supported. The monthly income of the person or household is determined according to the average monthly income of all members, realized on all grounds in the last three months before submission of the request for exercising the right to social financial assistance.
The amount of social financial assistance for the right holder is 2,831 MKD. For each next member of the household, the base increases by a coefficient of 0.37 and up to five members.
- Permanent financial assistance
The right to permanent financial assistance has a person incapable of work and materially unsupported, who can not provide funds for his / her existence on the basis of other regulations.
Inability to work is considered a person:
- with moderate, severe and deep impediments in mental development and a person with combined and other developmental disabilities, which due to the degree of disability can not acquire education, as well as a person with physical disability, because of which he is incapable of work,
- person with mental illness and a person with permanent changes in the health condition, because of which he is incapable of work,
- single woman during pregnancy one month before childbirth and single parent in accordance with the Family Law for up to three years of age,
- a child without parents and without parental care that is not protected on the basis of the right to accommodation, which has no income on the basis of property and property rights and does not realize funds on the basis of other regulations, but up to the age of 18 and
- a person older than 65 years.
Material unsecured person shall be considered a person who has no income or whose incomes on all grounds per family member are less than 5,000 denars, in accordance with the increase in the cost of living for the previous year and does not possess the property and property rights from which he can be supported.
The amount of permanent financial assistance is:
- the right holder 3. 677 MKD
- for a co-visitor the amount of the right holder is increased by a coefficient of 0.40 and
- for two or more co-workers, the amount of the right holder is increased by a coefficient of 1.0
- Financial compensation for assistance and care by another person
The right to financial compensation for assistance and care from another person has a person over the age of 26 with moderate, severe and deep mental disabilities, a person with severe and severe physical disability, a completely blind person, and a person with permanent changes in the health a condition that needs help and care from another person because it can not only satisfy basic living needs, if this right can not be exercised on the basis of other regulations.
The right to a financial allowance for assistance and care by another person can be realized by a person whose annual net income on all grounds is at most up to the total annual average monthly net salary paid each month for the previous year.
The amount of cash benefits for assistance and care from another person to a greater extent is 4,348 MKD, and 3,702 MKD on a smaller scale, aligned with the increase in the cost of living for the previous year.
- Child allowance
The right to child allowance is provided to a child, a citizen of the Republic of Macedonia, who is on regular education in the Republic of Macedonia.
The right to child allowance is provided to a child up to 18 years of age and if the school-age child is on regular schooling, as follows:
- a child who is a full-time primary school pupil by the end of the schooling for as many years as the regular schooling lasts until 31 August of the year; and
- a child who is a full-time high school student for each academic year as of August 31 of the year but not longer than 18 years of age.
The right to child allowance has a child in a family whose income per family basis is up to 2,490 denars, and for a single parent child is up to 4,980 denars
The amount of the child allowance is:
- child of preschool age and child pupil in elementary school 716 denars and
- child pupil in secondary school until filling 18 years of age 1,136 denars.
The maximum amount of child allowance that can be received by one family is 2,415 denars.
- Special child allowance
For a child with specific needs that has physical or mental developmental disabilities or combined developmental disabilities up to 26 years of age, a special allowance is provided as a monetary compensation.
The right to a special allowance is one of the parents of the child, the guardian or a person who has been entrusted with the decision of the competent center for social work and lives in the family with him, with a permanent place of residence in the Republic of Macedonia, if the child is a citizen of the Republic Macedonia with permanent residence in the Republic of Macedonia until the age of 26 years, unless it is institutionally cared for by the state.
The amount of the special allowance is 4,202 MKD.
- The amount of the special allowance increases by 50% and amounts to 6.303 denars for a single parent who has a child with specific needs that has physical or mental disability or combined developmental disabilities up to 26 years of age.
- The amount of the special allowance is increased by 25% and amounted to fifth 252.50 denars for material unsecured parents who are users on social fine help and permanentfine help which have child with specific needs which there are obstacles in corporeal or mental development or combined obstacles in development 26 years life.
- Child allowance for third child
A parental allowance for a child makes a mother for her third live child.
The parental allowance for a third child referred to in Article 38 of this Law shall be paid monthly, for a period of ten years, in the amount of 8,048 MKD.
- Conditional cash transfer
The right to conditional cash transfer for secondary education is realized by:
- Household beneficiaries of social financial assistance
- Households are beneficiaries of social financial assistance whose right to assistance is on hold due to engagement in public work
and which households
- Not users of child allowance and
- Have children enrolled in secondary education
- If they were beneficiaries of the conditional cash benefit program in the previous school year, they did not repeat the school year.
The total amount of the conditional cash benefit per student pupil during the one school year is 12,000.00 denars based on fulfillment of conditionality by periods.
- Money compensation in case of unemployment
The right to financial compensation has an unemployed person who has been in employment for at least nine months uninterrupted or 12 months with a termination in the last 18 months.
The right to financial compensation has an unemployed person for the time spent in employment, for which contributions from compulsory social insurance have been paid, as follows:
- in full-time employment;
- in working relationship with part-time work, calculated in full time;
- in a fixed-term employment (seasonal work) longer than 40 hours per week, if that time is calculated in length of service and
- for work abroad.
For the exercise of the right to monetary compensation as time spent in employment, the time for which the unemployed person received a financial allowance is not considered.
The amount of the monthly unemployment benefit is determined on the basis of the calculated and paid salaries with the employer in accordance with the law, collective agreement and employment contract and amounts to 50% of the average monthly net salary of the employee for the last 24 months for a person entitled for a monetary compensation up to 12 months, and for a person who is entitled to a financial compensation for more than 12 months, the monetary compensation for the first 12 months is 50% of the average monthly net salary of the employee for the last 24 months, and for the remainder anatomical time 40% of the average monthly net salary. The compensation can not be more than 80% of the average monthly net salary per employee in the Republic, published for the last month.
The cash benefit of the unemployed person is paid off:
- one month, if there is an insurance period of at least nine months for an uninterrupted duration or 12 months with an interruption in the last 18 months;
- two months, if there is an insurance period of over 18 months to two and a half years;
- three months, if there is an insurance term of more than two and a half to five years;
- four months, if there is an insurance period of five to seven and a half years;
- five months, if there is an insurance term of more than seven and a half to ten years;
- six months, if there is an insurance period of ten to twelve years;
- seven months, if there is an insurance period of more than twelve and a half to 15 years;
- eight months, if there is an insurance period of more than 15 to seventeen and a half years;
- nine months, if there is an insurance period of over seventeen and a half to 20 years;
- ten months, if there is an insurance period of over 20 to twenty-two and a half years;
- eleven months, if there is an insurance period of twenty-two and a half to 25 years old and
- twelve months, if there is an insurance period of over 25 years.
The unemployed person who has over 15 years of service insurance, and who is missing up to 18 months before fulfilling the conditions for acquiring the right to old age pension, shall be paid the monetary compensation until his employment, ie until the beginning of some of the grounds for termination the right to monetary compensation.